Saturday, January 10, 2009

Quirky Girl Closet





Hello everyone!  I'm back from our trip to Puerto Rico and happy to be in a new year.  Puerto Rico was so wonderful and we had a great time with G's family.  As expected, we ate a lot of food every day and it was totally worth the diet I am on now.  Christmas was so much fun too.  I wasn't with my family, but they sent lots of presents and it was fun to open them with Gustavo. I have tons of old movies to watch when G goes to the field.  He no longer allows me to subject him to girly movies very often.  Anyway, before I start rambling because it's been so long I want to share a lovely blog post that inspires me and I know will inspire you to have closet organizing as one of your New Year's Resolutions!

I just found this site this morning called Making It Lovely.  If you click on the link it will take you directly to the closet post that will make you drool.  There are several reasons I adore this post.  The most obvious is that it is so organized with the uniform hangers and sections for each type of clothing, but what also inspires me is the personality of the pieces in the closet.  Her closet to me is the paragon of quirky-girl style.  She obviously knows what looks good on her and is focused on her personal style.  How many of us can say that with the trends coming and going with the wind?  When you know your own personal style, you can build a wardrobe over years and actually invest in pieces that will last.  

The other part that isn't shown here is that she says she got rid of loads of things that weren't working for her.  She tossed shoes that hurt her feet, but I wish I could see a picture of all the items she let go.  This is the hardest part sometimes, but you have to do that to get to a personalized, workable closet space like this.  She also moved items to the closet like her perfume so they could be near her while she was getting ready.  Don't you love to see what other people use for perfume?  Maybe it's just me because I adore perfume so much.  That reminds me, I got a new one for Christmas by Bulgari.  It's called Rose Essentiale and it's just dreamy!

We are going out today to do lots of errands, still catching up for being away for two weeks. The pictures of this closet have affected me so much that I'm going to keep them in my mind's eye so that I can replicate it in my own style.  I do love quirky girl style and I know a good place to start for details like organizing jewelry that she has is Anthropologie, Ikea and Urban Outfitters.  My take away is:

1-Always first-purge what isn't working for you.
2-Focus on your personal style so you can build your wardrobe over time.
3-Use your space wisely by adding items to help organize.

4-Take a picture of your closet so I can see it!

Enjoy the weekend everyone!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couple things. I looked at that website, it's a nice closet. Not luxurious but functional and organized, that's the main thing. I love Puerto Rico, I have a great house near the beach that I rent out.
See it at http://elpartyparty.blogspot.com
Be well,
-Steve Nickse

La Belette Rouge said...

You look lovely! I love that JCrew blouse. I am so happy you had a great time.
I am off to follow your links. Thanks for sharing them.

The Closet Therapist said...

Hello Closet Design Boston-You are right that being functional and organized is the most important thing. I saw your house in PR and it's really lovely! Thanks for stopping by and saying hi.

The Closet Therapist said...

Hi there La Belette Rouge! Thanks for the compliment. Of course you would know that my blouse came from J Crew!! I am in love with it. I see you are enjoying your new baby! I'm trying not to be influenced by her tiny little self. We can't have another dog right now!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen! I love the picture of you and Gustavo! We miss y'all!

Liberty London Girl said...

I'm so with you! I posted only today about my purging mission... LLGxx

Our Trip to Rosemary Beach, Florida

I'm linking up again with  Erika ,  Andrea  and  Narci  for the Friday Favorites!  I love reading everyone's favorites too! ...