Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mad Men Inspired Style

I'm new to the Mad Men scene. I just started watching it a couple of months ago and I'm hooked. As I was perusing Talbot's new fall line, it occurred to me how much this show is influencing our fall fashion. Has anyone noticed that Talbot's is not the stodgy, conservative shop that it used to be?

I've been pondering Talbot's new look for awhile now. My first instinct when I got the summer catalog was that the layouts, the clothes and even the models look strikingly similar to J. Crew. I've always liked Talbot's and I could manage to find a few things in there, but I really thought that the clothes were much older than me. I was really excited to see the changes because Talbot's quality is impeccable so having the option to shop there for younger styles is a welcome opportunity.

These are some of their summer looks I liked, but you'll have to click the link below to see the fall lookbook.

<




Now that they have obviously gone a new direction to appeal to the younger woman too, I am curious to see if they have updated their fit as well. It just figures that I would get intrigued by a line as I am brewing a long term rest from purchasing anything. The Talbot's lookbook is definitely worth seeing even if just to admire the styling though. Also, if you can get your hands on a summer catalog, you won't be sorry as it's also very chic.


I also couldn't help but note that Mad Men seems to be everywhere these days. I'm drawn to these looks and am happy to see the resurgence of this fashion era. I'm not sure how that retro look will make it's way into my mostly jeans style, but I'm happy to have the opportunity to find out. Here I was thinking after the Nordstrom anniversary sale that there were only 80's styles to shop from, but take heart because there's more out there!

Did you also know that QVC is launching a line of Mad Men inspired clothing? If you want to read about it, here is a preview article. I don't think I'll be buying any of the QVC clothing but I'm looking forward to seeing Season Four of Mad Men and the swoon-worthy fashion. The premiere of the new season is on July 25! Anyone else love Joan?


One more thing since we're on the subject of Mad Men, if you are an aspiring actor, or just want to be on the show, here is your chance. Banana Republic is hosting a contest, read about it here. It starts tomorrow!

Will anyone be hosting Mad Men Premiere dress up parties? I don't know anyone else who watches the show so I won't be. What do you think of the retro inspired fashion? How will you incorporate this into your current wardrobe? I'm definitely seeing something leopard print in my future. I think it's obvious my favorite character is Joan. Who is yours?

Joan pic from here.
Group pic from here.

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good grief that leopard coat is divine in the fall look book. I saw so many pretty things that I liked. I love Mad Men and especially love Joan. It's a great show!

The Closet Therapist said...

I'm thinking I need a part time job at Talbots now! Love the leopard coat!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Closet Therapist - I found you by searching for "Nordstrom personal shopper." I love the reviews for the fashion-challenged, like me! Any specific fashion advice for moms? And I too am an enormous Mad Men fan. Fashion and all.

Adrienne Shubin said...

Talbots looks great in photos, but I'm with you, I need to see how modern and young the fit is.
Mad Men is one of my favorites. I have had dreams about Don Draper (don't tell my husband). But as far as dressing like Mad Men characters? I feel like I might look like I'm wearing a costume at my age.
Adrienne

amber robinson said...

Love this post, friend! So glad to know about Talbots - I had written it off as an older style store and didn't even plan to enter its doors until i was nearing 40. so, obviously, i wasn't aware of the recent changes! another store with a large petite section for young professionals.....bring it on!!

btw, randall is a huge Mad Men fan! haha. i've never watched, though.

Unknown said...

Love your train of thought here! Talbots has always been about classic style, now with a chic modern twist, and that totally feels like the style of Mad Men. [Which I too love, btw.]
If you're loving the Fall lookbook, check out my sneak peek of the new premium denim shoot... http://redchairconfessions.com/

Karin said...

I haven't had a chance to watch Mad Men yet, but I love all the pics I'm seeing from the show. I was out thrifting the other day and scored a sheath dress that has a very Mad Men-esque feel to it. I too lead a mostly jeans lifestyle in laid back town, so I will have to challenge myself to wear this dress. Thanks for the fun post.

The Closet Therapist said...

Anonymous-So glad you found me here. I'll think about the Mom fashion advice. Are you going to use the Nordstrom personal shopper service?

Adrienne-I'm going to go over there soon and see about the fit too. For me, it's the silhouette that is perfect for hourglass figures that I love. That Don Draper is something!

Amber-How in the world does Randall have time to watch this? You should join him! We can go next month and check out Talbots! I'm not liking Banana Republic too much these days.

Sophie-You are right there with me. I'm going to have a look at your blog. Thanks for the note.

The Closet Therapist said...

Karin-So glad you stopped by to say hi. Your sheath dress sounds great. Will you be posting pics on your blog?

La Belette Rouge said...

The more ornate and decorated JCrew becomes the more I find myself stopping in Talbots. They have really changed. Or have I gotten old? Don't answer that!;-)
xo

The Closet Therapist said...

Belette-Funny! They really have changed. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes! I am going to try the personal shopper at Nordstrom ... although she was supposed to contact me and hasn't written. Maybe she saw the baby stains on my shirt and realized I was too tough of a job. I too will now check out Talbots - I hope they send you some free clothes for the advertising you are giving them!

The Closet Therapist said...

Anonymous-Wish I knew your name since we're having a conversation here...but anyway, I hope that your appointment is wonderful with Nordstrom! I always expect a "fantasy" experience but want to leave with real and practical choices for my life.

I would love to be the test market for Talbot's fall line! :) Let me know how your appointment goes.

Our Trip to Rosemary Beach, Florida

I'm linking up again with  Erika ,  Andrea  and  Narci  for the Friday Favorites!  I love reading everyone's favorites too! ...